i wrote to stephen harper and this is what i got

Dear Ms. Tirona: 

I would like to acknowledge receipt of your correspondence regarding the Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA).

Please be assured that your comments have been carefully reviewed. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to the Honourable Edward Fast, Minister of International Trade, who, I am certain, will also appreciate being made aware of your views.

Thank you for writing to the Prime Minister. 



M. Bredeson 
Executive Correspondence Officer 
  for the Prime Minister's Office 
Agent de correspondance 
  de la haute direction pour le Cabinet du Premier ministre 

>>>  From : Nicole   Received : 01  Nov  2012 03:16:28 PM  >>> 

>>>  Subject : Hi. This is my letter about what I learned about FIPA today.  >>>> 

Dear Stephen Harper, 
Please dont give all our jobs to China. Ive been here for a long time and I can do anything a Chinese person can do. I had to quit my handmade crafts business about a year ago. It was very successful until someone said the economy crashed in 2008 and thats pretty much when my business started to taper to a halt. Ive been looking for a job and I would hate not to be able to find one because all the jobs are in China. I spend whatever I earn on my local community. I try to buy Canadian made products and produce that enhances our environment. There are a lot of people like me. I am a permanent resident and I came here to go art school. You guys in the consulate told me to come on down and maybe get married to Canadian national when I finished school. Well, I never finished school cos it was too expensive as an international student and I ended up with a visa card debt cos I used my credit card to pay for my tuition. But I did get into a wonderful common law relationship and that guy is an artist and he sponsored me. Hes a vegetarian and he taught me a lot about art and Canadian culture. I love Canada and I love the people here. I applied for my citizenship and I hope Canada grants it to me. This year has been very difficult for me, and now I am trying to change my career. I hope I find a job, Im redoing my resume right now. 

Meanwhile, Please dont make 31 year deal with China binding Canada not to be able to compete with their products. It seems similar to the Philippines not being able to create products that go against the world banks products due to their debt. Conceptually speaking as an artist, this doesnt sound like a good idea. 31 years is a long time, I know because I am 33. So many lifetimes happen in a single year. Please reconsider and come up with alternate, local solutions.

We are on the same piece of land, if anything. 

Kind regards, 
Nicole Tirona 
Toronto 


    I am strongly opposed to the undemocratic FIPA agreement the Canadian government plans to finalize with the Chinese government.  It will give a foreign country and foreign corporations more power than our democratically elected governments. I am not in agreement with a 31 year binding contract. Any Corporations operating on Canadian soil must adhere to the changing rule of law sanctioned by Canadians. Are you not concerned about what this deal will mean for Canadians?

No comments:

Post a Comment